The Moby project is an open framework created by Docker to assemble specialized container systems without reinventing the wheel. It provides a “lego set” of dozens of standard components and a framework for assembling them into custom platforms.
Docker the product will be assembled from components that are packaged by the Moby project.A successful container ecosystem means a successful Docker. The Moby Ecosystem Advocate role will be in charge of growing the Moby ecosystem, in collaboration with the the Moby Community Manager role, product marketing, product management and engineering teams. The role’s responsibilities include:
- Being an advocate for the Moby ecosystem inside Docker Inc. Providing two way feedback between the Moby community and Docker Inc.
- Help define a roadmap for Moby and it’s components, in collaboration with the community. Define a process and tools for roadmap definition and execution.
- Help define the Moby project governance as a community led project
- Identify and foster use cases for the Moby project beyond Docker, including working with partners in many different industries.
- Messaging and positioning of Moby in context of both commercial and upstream technologies, including weekly report, website, blog posts, technical articles, speaking at conferences, talking to the press and analysts...
The Moby Ecosystem Advocate success metrics are focused on the size of the ecosystem, number and impact of participants or success stories in all industry segments.
This role requires a deep technical knowledge of the Moby stack, and container ecosystem components, an experience growing an open source community and ecosystem, as well as an ability to understand and explain how technology components can be assembled to create value.
- 5-10 years experience in open source software
- Experience growing an open source ecosystem
- Experience with many software use cases in different industries
- Development experience with several languages (Go, Python, Java, C/C++,...)
- Hands-on deep experience with Docker
- Hands-on experience with different container ecosystem components: Kubernetes, Prometheus, ...
- Experience delivering technical presentations at conferences
- Ability and experience to explain business benefits of technology to business decision makers
- Experience briefing the press and analysts
- Experience writing technical articles
- We enjoy working on small teams
- We trust our colleagues and customers
- We are willing and eager to learn from each other
- We are transparent thinkers and action-oriented doers
- We are passionate about what we work on and take pride in our craft
- Lunch, dinner, snacks, and bottomless cups of coffee at HQ
- Full benefits (Health, Dental, Vision, 401k)
- WageWorks (Pre-tax parking/transit)
- Customized workstation (Apple or Windows)
- Company outings (SF Giants, Rafting, etc.)
- Soccer and Basketball team at HQ
- Happy hours, Hackathons, & Tech Talks
Docker, Inc. is the company behind the Docker open source platform and is the chief sponsor of the Docker ecosystem. Docker is an open platform for developers and system administrators to build, ship and run distributed applications. With Docker, IT organizations shrink application delivery from months to minutes, frictionlessly move workloads between data centers and the cloud and can achieve up to 20X greater efficiency in their use of computing resources. Inspired by an active community and by transparent, open source innovation, Docker containers have been downloaded more than 6 billion times and Docker is used by millions of developers across thousands of the world’s most innovative organizations, including ADP, GE, the BBC, Goldman Sachs, Groupon, ING, Yelp, and Spotify. Docker’s rapid adoption has catalyzed an active ecosystem, resulting in hundreds of thousands of “Dockerized” applications, hundreds of Docker-related startups and integration partnerships with AWS, Alibaba, Canonical, Google, IBM, Microsoft, and VMware.