Docker, Inc. is seeking a technical writer who can work with our developers, users, and our open-source community to gather the technical information needed to create and maintain a wide variety of documentation. At Docker, we see docs as an integral part of our products. Our technical writers work within all of our groups, including engineering, product, and marketing, as well as the broader Docker community. This cooperative, embedded approach results in documentation that educates and entertains our users to help drive adoption of Docker technologies.
- Work independently to gather information from software developers and product management about new features, and create (helpful, interesting, well-organized, consistent, high-quality) content from scratch
- Participate in agile feature team meetings and represent the interests of the tech pubs team (and Docker users). If you have a great idea to improve a product feature, share it!
- Use the product, test each procedure and workflow, become an expert user, and advocate for Docker's customers. If something seems difficult to document, it's probably difficult to use and understand. Speak up when you see a problem that prevents Docker from being awesome!
- Work closely with customer support to identify opportunities to make the documentation better and then execute those opportunities, all while being responsive to customer requests for information
- 5+ years of technical writing experience in enterprise software
- Excellent content planning and organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills
- The ability to act as an information designer, project manager, writer, editor, and publisher
- The ability to quickly learn complex concepts and technologies and, clearly explain them to others
- Knowledge or experience with creating documentation in an Agile development environment
- Knowledge or experience with source control systems, preferably using GitHub
- Knowledge or experience with bug tracking systems, preferably using JIRA
- Previous experience documenting network or web applications
- Previous experience writing documentation for system administrator and developer audiences
- Knowledge or experience with Open Source application development
- Proficiency on Linux operating systems using the command-line
- Experience with the Mac operating system
- A good understanding of programming concepts, preferably with Go and/or Python
- We enjoy working on small teams
- We trust our colleagues and customers
- We are willing and eager to learn from each other
- We are transparent thinkers and action-oriented doers
- We are passionate about what we work on and take pride in our craft
- Lunch, dinner, snacks, and bottomless cups of coffee at HQ
- Full benefits (Health, Dental, Vision,401k)
- WageWorks (Pre-tax parking/transit)
- Customized workstation (Apple or Windows)
- Company outings (SF Giants, Rafting, etc.)
- Soccer and Basketball team at HQ
- Happy hours, Hackathons, & Tech Talks
Docker, Inc. is the company behind the Docker open source platform and is the chief sponsor of the Docker ecosystem. Docker is an open platform for developers and system administrators to build, ship and run distributed applications. With Docker, IT organizations shrink application delivery from months to minutes, frictionlessly move workloads between data centers and the cloud and can achieve up to 20X greater efficiency in their use of computing resources. Inspired by an active community and by transparent, open source innovation, Docker containers have been downloaded more than 6 billion times and Docker is used by millions of developers across thousands of the world’s most innovative organizations, including ADP, GE, the BBC, Goldman Sachs, Groupon, ING, Yelp, and Spotify. Docker’s rapid adoption has catalyzed an active ecosystem, resulting in hundreds of thousands of “Dockerized” applications, hundreds of Docker-related startups and integration partnerships with AWS, Alibaba, Canonical, Google, IBM, Microsoft and VMware.