Since the launch of Docker Extensions, we’ve received numerous requests from the community, asking for new extensions they’d like to see implemented. That’s why we’re glad to announce that we’ll be official partners of Hacktoberfest 2022 with Docker Extensions!
News you can use and monthly highlights:
Opinionated Docker development workflow for Node.js projects – Are you planning to containerize your Node.js project? Here’s a quick step-by-step guide for developing and testing your Node.js app using Docker and best practices.
A command line tool to create development environments for AI/ML based on buildkit – Is your AI/ML development team still facing the challenge of system dependencies and clunky things that often break your app? If yes, then check out this new command line tool! Envd will help you create the container-based development environment for your AI/ML solution.
The smallest Docker image to serve static websites – Would you believe us if we said you can host your website on a 154KB Docker container? See for yourself! Here’s an article that shows how you can successfully run a static website on such a tiny Docker container.
Using Docker manifest to create multi-arch images on AWS Graviton processors – Building Docker images for multiple architectures has become increasingly popular. This blog post introduces a Docker manifest utility that helps developers build separate images for each architecture. These can then be joined into a multi-arch image when it’s time to share.
Deploying and Scaling the Official Strapi Demo App “FoodAdvisor” with Kubernetes and Docker – Here’s an article that shows how a shift from the monolith to microservice architecture can help you build a highly scalable and performant application.
Monthly Extensions Roundup: Test APIs, Use Oracle SQLcl, and More!
Find out what’s new this month in the Docker Extension Marketplace! Access InterSystems, test APIs, use Oracle SQLcl, and backup/share volumes — right from Docker Desktop.
The latest tips and tricks from the community:
- How to Colorize Black & White Pictures With OpenVINO™ on Ubuntu Containers
- Containerizing a Slack Clone App Built with the MERN Stack
- Four Ways Docker Boosts Enterprise Software Development
- Clarifying Misconceptions About Web3 and Its Relevance With Docker
- Bring Continuous Integration to Your Laptop With the Drone CI Docker Extension
Community All-Hands Recap
The sessions from our 6th Community All-Hands are now available to watch on-demand. If you couldn’t make it to the event, fear not! You can still join in and learn at your own pace. Here’s what you missed.
Educational content created by the experts at Docker:
- How to Set Up Your Local Node.js Development Environment Using Docker
- How to Build and Run Next.js Applications with Docker, Compose, & NGINX
- How to Use the Alpine Docker Official Image
- What is the Best Container Security Workflow for Your Organization?
- Dear Moby: Kubernetes in Production Environments
Docker Captain: James Spurin
We couldn’t be more excited to whalecome James Spurin to the Captain crew. Learn more about his free K8s intro course focused on community giveback, his goals for the Docker community, and a few of his favorite Dockerfile best practices.
See what the Docker team has been up to:
- Extending Docker’s Integration with containerd
- The Docker-Sponsored Open Source Program has a new look!
- Integrated Terminal for Running Containers, Extended Integration with Containerd, and More in Docker Desktop 4.12
- Announcing Docker Hub Export Members
- Conversation with RedMonk: Developer Engagement in the Remote Work Era
Back Up and Share Docker Volumes with This Extension
We’ve heard your feedback and added the ability to back up and share volumes right within Docker Desktop! Our new Volumes Backup & Share Extension lets you easily back up, clone, restore, and share Docker volumes.