The Moby project is an open framework created by Docker to assemble specialized container systems without reinventing the wheel. It provides a “lego set” of dozens of standard components and a framework for assembling them into custom platforms.
Docker the product will be assembled from components that are packaged by the Moby project.
The Moby Community Advocate role will be in charge of architecting and growing the Moby developer community, in collaboration with the the Moby Ecosystem Advocate role, product marketing, product management and engineering teams. The role’s responsibilities include:
- Grow the Moby developer community, helping developers implement different use cases with moby successfully and communicate about it.
- Community architecture: help define the Moby project governance as a community led project
- Advocacy: represent the Moby community with Docker Inc. engineering team, and the Docker engineering team with the community.
- Organize Moby community events worldwide in collaboration with the marketing team, the Docker community, and other related communities (AI, Big Data, Cloud Native, IoT...)
- Communicate about Moby: weekly report, website, blog posts, technical articles, speaking at conferences, talking to the press and analysts...
- In collaboration with the Moby Ecosystem Advocate, help define a roadmap for Moby and it’s components, in collaboration with the community. Define a process and tools for roadmap definition and execution.
The Moby Community Advocate success metrics are focused on the size and vitality of the community (open source metrics), number and impact of participants or success stories in all related communities.
This role requires a deep technical knowledge of the Moby stack, and container ecosystem components, an experience growing an open source community, as well as an ability to understand and explain how technology components can be assembled to create value.
- 5-10 years experience in open source software
- Experience creating, nurturing, growing an open source community
- Experience with many software use cases in different industries
- Development experience with several languages (Go, Python, Java, C/C++,...)
- Hands-on deep experience with Docker
- Docker and container ecosystem experience is a plus
- Experience with the devops or systems community is a must
- Experience delivering technical presentations at conferences
- Experience briefing the press and analysts
- Experience writing technical articles
- We enjoy working on small teams
- We trust our colleagues and customers
- We are willing and eager to learn from each other
- We are transparent thinkers and action-oriented doers
- We are passionate about what we work on and take pride in our craft
- Lunch, dinner, snacks, and bottomless cups of coffee at HQ
- Full benefits (Health, Dental, Vision, 401k)
- WageWorks (Pre-tax parking/transit)
- Customized workstation (Apple or Windows)
- Company outings (SF Giants, Rafting, etc.)
- Soccer and Basketball team at HQ
- Happy hours, Hackathons, & Tech Talks
Docker, Inc. is the company behind the Docker open source platform and is the chief sponsor of the Docker ecosystem. Docker is an open platform for developers and system administrators to build, ship and run distributed applications. With Docker, IT organizations shrink application delivery from months to minutes, frictionlessly move workloads between data centers and the cloud and can achieve up to 20X greater efficiency in their use of computing resources. Inspired by an active community and by transparent, open source innovation, Docker containers have been downloaded more than 6 billion times and Docker is used by millions of developers across thousands of the world’s most innovative organizations, including ADP, GE, the BBC, Goldman Sachs, Groupon, ING, Yelp, and Spotify. Docker’s rapid adoption has catalyzed an active ecosystem, resulting in hundreds of thousands of “Dockerized” applications, hundreds of Docker-related startups and integration partnerships with AWS, Alibaba, Canonical, Google, IBM, Microsoft, and VMware.