The Industry-Leading Container Runtime
Docker Engine powers millions of applications worldwide, providing a standardized packaging format for diverse applications.
Docker Engine Sparked the Containerization Movement
Docker Engine is the industry’s de facto container runtime that runs on various Linux (CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Oracle Linux, RHEL, SUSE, and Ubuntu) and Windows Server operating systems. Docker creates simple tooling and a universal packaging approach that bundles up all application dependencies inside a container which is then run on Docker Engine. Docker Engine enables containerized applications to run anywhere consistently on any infrastructure, solving “dependency hell” for developers and operations teams, and eliminating the “it works on my laptop!” problem.
Why Docker Engine?
Docker Engine forms the common foundation underlying the Docker Enterprise platform, allowing developers and operators to turn ideas into reality quickly and securely.
Freedom of Choice
Docker Engine supports any type of application - legacy to cloud-native, monolithic to 12-factor - and works with multiple operating systems, across hybrid/multi-cloud and validated to work with Kubernetes CRI.
Docker Engine is built with security in mind. With Docker Content Trust and FIPS 140-2 validation, Docker Engine users can run containerized applications in highly regulated environments.
Which Docker Engine is right for you?
Docker Engine Enterprise
- Enterprise-class support with defined SLAs and private support channels
- 24 months of extended software maintenance
- Hotfixes & patches for all supported releases
- FIPS 140-2 validated encryption modules
- Enforcement of signed images
- Engage with Docker product team on roadmap priorities
- Ecosystem plugins and ISV containers certified with collaborative support
- Certified reference architecture and operating systems
- Professional services delivered by Docker and Certified Partners
Docker Engine Community
- Community-based support forums
- 7 months of software maintenance
- Hotfixes & patches only for most recent release
- Community-driven roadmap