Docker has always aimed to make application development more efficient and enjoyable for developers of all backgrounds. Docker Hub, Docker Desktop, and supporting tools help teams build safely, collaborate seamlessly, and rapidly deploy critical applications. Accordingly, working with Docker containers and images is simple — even without expert knowledge of cloud infrastructure.
In fact, Docker’s ecosystem is now the foundation for a powerful new type of Desktop as a Service (DaaS). Kasm Technologies — a Docker Verified Publisher — has recently launched Kasm Workspaces. Workspaces is a Container Streaming® platform that delivers Docker-powered Linux desktops directly to any web browser.
Kasm Workspaces replaces legacy Virtualized Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) offerings like Citrix Workspaces and VMWare Horizons. It therefore leverages Docker containers rather than full-stack operating systems. Accordingly, Docker’s ecosystem helps Kasm ship Containerized Desktop Infrastructure® (CDI) solutions — each with some noteworthy advantages over traditional platforms:
- Desktops Boot in Seconds
- Containers run on a shared kernel — letting Workspaces images boot in under two seconds, not in tens of seconds as seen with full-stack VMs
- Reduced System Resources
- Containers share system resources and load only minimal essential services, thus consuming less compute, memory, and disk space
- DevOps Pipelines for Patching and Build Automation
- The Dockerfile build process automates the compilation of system software and configurations. This allows for release-pipeline automation, intervention-free system updates, and guaranteed uptime. Passive processes also bolster security patching, software functionality, and performance.
- Orchestration for Scalability
- Docker orchestration automates the process of establishing additional images and controlling resource allocation.
- Portable/Sharable for Reuse
- Containers work cross-platform without dependencies so they can be shared within Docker Hub.
- Platform Agnostic for Compatibility
- Workspaces can orchestrate any system with Docker — allowing it to run in the cloud, on-premises, or in a hybrid configuration.
- Web-Native for Usability
- KasmVNC rendering technology is embedded within the Docker container. It streams the desktop UI to the user’s browser, using web-native technology that doesn’t require an agent or plugin.
These collective Docker ecosystem features allow Kasm’s DaaS vendors to establish a simple and scalable infrastructure — both with fewer costs and smaller teams. Additionally, DaaS users benefit from the following:
- Increased service responsiveness
- Stronger security through transparent patching
- Improved performance
- Efficient resource utilization
For more information about the Kasm Workspaces DaaS offering, visit https://www.kasmweb.com/vdi.html
ABOUT KASM WORKSPACES
Kasm Workspaces is a container streaming platform for delivering browser, desktop and application workloads to the web browser. Kasm is changing the way that businesses deliver digital workspaces using our open-source web-native container streaming® technology to establish a modern devops delivery of Desktop as a Service (DaaS), application streaming, and browser isolation. Kasm is not just a service, it is a highly configurable platform, with a robust developer API that can be customized for your use-case, at any scale. Workspaces is truly wherever the work is. It can be deployed in the cloud (public or private), on-premises (including air-gapped networks), or in a hybrid configuration.
ABOUT KASM TECHNOLOGIES
Kasm Technologies is a privately held small business led by a team of cybersecurity engineers experienced in developing web-native remote work platforms for Federal/State Government, Fortune 500 companies, Startups and Small/Medium sized businesses. Our team’s experience in offensive/defensive cyber operations, rapid prototyping and cutting-edge technology provides us a unique perspective on how to provide reliable, private, and secure communications.