Docker is hiring a Sales Engineer who wants to change the way the world builds, ships, and runs software. Docker containers wrap a piece of software in a complete filesystem that contains everything needed to run it: code, runtime, system tools, system libraries – anything that can be installed on a server.... and guarantees that the software will always run the same, regardless of its environment or cloud.
The paradigm shift this basic container concept represents is enabling a new path to modern DevOps that is redefining entire industries and new markets everyday. If you are passionate about the power of containers, and want to get in front of customers and help them understand possibilities in this new world... the Docker pre-sales engineering team is the tip of the spear.
Docker SE's talk to customers who:
- need help moving past the high-level concepts and understanding how Docker fits into their environment, and how to get started.
- are transforming their development pipelines, and automating the provisioning of their infrastructure services remove frictions for Developers to ship new app ideas to market quickly.
- need advice on their existing Docker deployments and how to expand capabilities
- look to Docker as industry experts on technology, people and process around software development & operating containers at Enterprise scale
It is important to note, that Sales Reps at Docker are more technical then most "SE's" on the planet. So only true techie's need apply. Candidates must have hands on, Tier 1 expertise across some combination of the following:
- Modern software architectures. We need to speak intelligently about the good, the bad and the ugly to help our customers make informed decisions. From Monoliths to Service Oriented Architectures to Microservices and everything else in between.
- OSS. Docker is at its heart an Open Source company. We believe that OSS is changing the world and that being good OSS citizens and building a billion dollar company aren’t at odds.
- CI/CD. Just about everyone starts with Docker accelerating their CI/CD systems. We have to know this space up up down down left right left right.
- Coding chops. Docker is a product made by and for developers. Whether your poison is Go Lang, Java, Python, Ruby or even shell, it’s important for members of the field team to be capable of cracking open an editor and digging in to better help our customers.
- Linux Beyond the Fundamentals. The more knowledge you have of Linux the better. System calls, iptables rules and kernel features are the shoulders on which Docker stands. Hands on with multiple distributions is a plus.
- Automation. We're a small team and doing anything manually twice is once too much. Whether its the demo environment or support tools. Whether we're using a configuration management tool like Puppet or Chef or dogfooding our own projects like Docker Machine we're going to automate all the things.
Also the candidate must have significant Fortune 500 Customer facing experience either from prior SE roles or as a Consultant. We look for people that have a naturally patient and empathetic nature, are hungry for knowledge, enjoy challenges, actively collaborate, and want to wake up every morning with purpose and a fully booked schedule.
Individually our SE's generally have specialize in one or many of the following areas:
- Virtualization and "The Cloud". Docker helps our customers Build, Ship and Run any application anywhere. Where does your customer want to go today? (AWS, GCE, Azure, Softlayer, VMware, Openstack, etc).
- Big Data. The motherload when it comes to distributed applications. You’ve run them or run on them.
- Metrics, Monitoring, and Alerting. Experience with open-source solutions like Graphite, hosted solutions like New Relic or legacy enterprise systems are welcomed with open arms.
- Java. The original write once run anywhere tool. From development to operations you’ve got stories about maven, IDEs, application containers (the other kind), gc pauses, and how you learned to stop worrying and love the JVM.
- Persistent data stores and queueing systems. Everyone needs one. Get in line.
- Networking. Making the bits stop or go where we want.
Docker, Inc. is the company behind the Docker open source platform and is the chief sponsor of the Docker ecosystem. Docker is an open platform for developers and system administrators to build, ship and run distributed applications. With Docker, IT organizations shrink application delivery from months to minutes, frictionlessly move workloads between data centers and the cloud and can achieve up to 20X greater efficiency in their use of computing resources. Inspired by an active community and by transparent, open source innovation, Docker containers have been downloaded more than 6 billion times and Docker is used by millions of developers across thousands of the world’s most innovative organizations, including ADP, GE, the BBC, Goldman Sachs, Groupon, ING, Yelp, and Spotify. Docker’s rapid adoption has catalyzed an active ecosystem, resulting in hundreds of thousands of “Dockerized” applications, hundreds of Docker-related startups and integration partnerships with AWS, Alibaba, Canonical, Google, IBM, Microsoft, and VMware.