This position is part of our Modernizing Traditional Applications program, which helps bring the benefits of containerization to existing applications. This position will focus on helping out developers and operations professionals using the Java ecosystem of products with Docker.
Docker is hiring a Developer Advocate to help developers and operations professionals move their applications to the Docker platform. A Developer Advocate is a leader in the field of building, deploying, and managing applications. They use their expertise to help developers outside of Docker understand how to build and administer applications using the Docker platform and will work out in the community, through conference appearances, participating in social media, blogging, writing technology guides and producing videos. A successful Developer Advocate will also work internally on behalf of users to ensure they get the best experience using Docker.
This is a new role at Docker with high visibility and a big impact on the Java ecosystem.
- Create momentum and drive the success of Docker’s platform through your interactions with third party users who build, ship, and run applications using Docker for the Java user and developer base.
- Champion Docker in person and online by presenting at Java ecosystem conferences and meetups, blogging, writing technical tutorials, videos, participating in online communities, and other similar activities.
- Identify and evangelize operational process efficiencies to improve and speed application development and deployment.
- Advocate for Docker users internally, and influence Docker developer product strategy by working with engineers, Product Managers, and cross-functional teams inside Docker.
- Help train and guide Docker Captains and other external Docker experts on Docker technology with the Java ecosystem so they can act as our advocates.
- Engage with customers to help them develop and deploy their applications.
- Travel will be involved.
- Experience as a software developer, architect, technology advocate, CTO, or consultant working with developer and operations technologies.
- 5 years development experience with Java EE.
- Experience working with the Java deployment applications and environments such as application servers (WebSphere, WebLogic, JBoss), servlet engines, Jenkins, and related technologies.
- Accomplished public speaker
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Experience using Docker.
- Experience with virtualization platforms such as VMWare, KVM, or Hyper-V.
- Experience blogging and with social media, and writing technical how-tos, for instance with an existing follower base.
- Experience with Java EE application servers such as WebSphere, WebLogic, or JBoss.
- Experience architecting and delivering enterprise systems on Java, with CI and automated deployment
- Has driven advocacy that has affected measurable change, either internally or externally.
- Has spoken at Java conferences, such as JavaOne or Devoxx.
- We enjoy working on small teams
- We trust our colleagues and customers
- We are willing and eager to learn from each other
- We are transparent thinkers and action-oriented doers
- We are passionate about what we work on and take pride in our craft
- Lunch, dinner, snacks, and bottomless cups of coffee at HQ
- Full benefits (Health, Dental, Vision, 401k)
- WageWorks (Pre-tax parking/transit)
- Customized workstation (Apple or Windows)
- Company outings (SF Giants, Rafting, etc.)
- Soccer and Basketball team at HQ
- Happy hours, Hackathons, & Tech Talks
Docker, Inc. is the company behind the Docker open source platform and is the chief sponsor of the Docker ecosystem. Docker is an open platform for developers and system administrators to build, ship and run distributed applications. With Docker, IT organizations shrink application delivery from months to minutes, frictionlessly move workloads between data centers and the cloud and can achieve up to 20X greater efficiency in their use of computing resources. Inspired by an active community and by transparent, open source innovation, Docker containers have been downloaded more than 6 billion times and Docker is used by millions of developers across thousands of the world’s most innovative organizations, including ADP, GE, the BBC, Goldman Sachs, Groupon, ING, Yelp, and Spotify. Docker’s rapid adoption has catalyzed an active ecosystem, resulting in hundreds of thousands of “Dockerized” applications, hundreds of Docker-related startups and integration partnerships with AWS, Alibaba, Canonical, Google, IBM, Microsoft, and VMware.