Does the thought of participating in disruptive change get your blood flowing? Do you naturally gravitate to the spirited debates within open source communities on IRC? Are you ready to jump in feet-first and work with a team that's defining the next generation of computing?
Docker, the open platform for distributed apps, is looking for a Director of Product Management for its open source operations and enterprise tooling. In this role you'll be shaping the direction of Engine, Swarm and our other tools. You will need to understand how sysadmins do their work inside large enterprises and be this voice to our teams here at Docker and to the wider open source community. It requires an individual who relishes the open dialog and debate characteristic of open source communities and possesses good product and people instincts. As a start-up in an emerging market, Docker promises that the only constant is growth and change, and successful candidates will appreciate this as a once-in-decade opportunity.
We’re looking for someone who wants to
- Engage with the open source community of users, contributors, and maintainers to discuss, debate, and define the direction of the Docker platform.
- Ferret-out, understand, and represent the voice of enterprise developers and sysadmins in the broader community discussion.
- Represent and evangelize the project's direction to other functions in the company, including Sales, Marketing, and Business Development.
- Work closely with other product teams to manage cross-product dependencies.
- Have an outsized impact on a fast-growing company with millions of users
- Learn from smart and interesting colleagues from across the world
- Drive decisions using data; from user needs to user interface design to new product introductions
- 7 years of experience in a technical role, whether as a product manager, designer, software developer or similar
- BS in CS or EE or equivalent technical degree required.
- A nose and love for great products.
- A passion for understanding users and their experiences with products.
- Deep understanding of open source communities, their evolution, and their dynamics.
- Experience as a contributor or maintainer in open source projects.
- As adept holding forth on IRC and mailing lists as you are IRL.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; you are able to write user stories to blog posts, provide input on market analysis, and deliver content for quarterly business reviews.
- Hands-on experience as a developer and/or sysadmin, preferably in an enterprise.
Our PM Philosophy; What You Will Do
- We subscribe to Good PM, Bad PM.
- You own the product, the revenue, and the results. No Excuses.
- Work with engineers, designers and other specialists to design and build products developers love
- Customer first methodology; you believe in and can articulate succinctly, the customer and their pain. You empathize and internalize deeply the world they live in and the constraints they work through. You live to make their lives easier.
- You love talking to engineers to find innovative, yet simple solutions that solves for today's problem and optimizes for tomorrow's vision.
- You work with sales to close deals; you love making it easy for everyone to buy and try your product and you love answering their questions.
- Marketing loves your slides and positioning statements; you love their ability to make it look and sound amazing in all forums and take the value prop to a wide audience.
- Support teams call you first when something is wrong and know you will not leave them in a lurch with a customer.
- Lunch, dinner, snacks, and bottomless cups of coffee at HQ
- Full benefits (Health, Dental, Vision, 401k)
- WageWorks (Pre-tax parking/transit)
- Customized workstation (Apple or Windows)
- Company outings (SF Giants, Rafting, etc.)
- Soccer and Basketball team at HQ
- Happy hours, Hackathons, & Tech Talks
Docker is the leader in the containerization market, combining an enterprise-grade container platform with world-class services to give developers and IT alike the freedom to build, manage and secure applications without the fear of technology or infrastructure lock-in. Today’s organizations are under pressure to digitally transform their business but are constrained by a diverse portfolio of applications, clouds and premises-based infrastructures. Docker unlocks the potential of every organization with a container platform that brings traditional applications and microservices built on Window, Linux and mainframe into an automated and secure supply chain, advancing dev to ops collaboration. As a result, organizations report a 300 percent improvement in time to market, while reducing operational costs by 50 percent. Inspired by open source innovation and a rich ecosystem of technology and go-to-market partners, Docker’s container platform and services are used by millions of developers and more than 550 Global 10K commercial customers including ADP, GE, MetLife, PayPal and Societe Generale.