The Developer Solutions group within Docker is responsible for all our developer-focused products. We develop the extremely popular Docker for Mac and Docker for Windows products, docker compose and docker build, as well as working on the next generation of developer tools. We are now looking for an additional low-level developer to join our group in Cambridge. This is an excellent opportunity to work on software for developers like you.
We use a wide variety of different operating systems and different languages within our group, and we work across the stack from the lowest levels right up to the UI. At the moment, we are specifically looking for an additional person to work on the lower levels of the stack, in the areas of networking, storage and virtualisation: these components are written in Go, C and OCaml. It is not necessary to know all these languages already, but it is necessary to be willing to learn them and to move between them as required.
As a member of the group you will help develop new versions of our software. You will be responsible for developments on a wide varieties of developer oriented tools, in order to deliver a compelling experience for our users. You should be passionate about how developers’ lives could be made easier, and about Docker’s part in that.
Docker is not currently sponsoring visas for this role. Please only apply if you have current and valid right-to-work status in the UK.
- Develop our new products
- Enhance and maintain our existing products
- Interact with other teams within Docker, as well as with upstream communities and our users
- A degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 3+ years as a software engineer
- Proven ability to learn new technologies and languages, and to switch between them as necessary. Experience programming in Go, C and/or OCaml would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of the Linux operating system, particularly some or all of networking, storage and virtualisation
- Equally comfortable starting a new product from scratch and working to maintain and enhance existing code
- Always using good software engineering practices such as code review, source control, continuous integration and testing
- Ability to work in a team with other developers, with User Experience experts, and with Product Management
- Ability to interact with upstream communities and with our customers in a way that brings credit to Docker
Docker is the leader in the containerization market, combining an enterprise-grade container platform with world-class services to give developers and IT alike the freedom to build, manage and secure applications without the fear of technology or infrastructure lock-in. Today’s organizations are under pressure to digitally transform their business but are constrained by a diverse portfolio of applications, clouds and premises-based infrastructures. Docker unlocks the potential of every organization with a container platform that brings traditional applications and microservices built on Window, Linux and mainframe into an automated and secure supply chain, advancing dev to ops collaboration. As a result, organizations report a 300 percent improvement in time to market, while reducing operational costs by 50 percent. Inspired by open source innovation and a rich ecosystem of technology and go-to-market partners, Docker’s container platform and services are used by millions of developers and more than 550 Global 10K commercial customers including ADP, GE, MetLife, PayPal and Societe Generale.