At Docker Inc, we are building tools for mass innovation that enable developers and administrators to build, ship and run distributed applications using container technology. Docker containers wrap up a piece of software in a complete file system that contains everything it needs to run: code, runtime, system tools, system libraries – anything you can install on a server. This guarantees that it will always run the same, regardless of the environment it is running in.
With Docker Enterprise Edition, organizations are empowered to deploy a Containers as a Services (CaaS) on-premises or in your virtual private cloud. It includes:
- Universal Control Plane (UCP) with embedded Swarm for integrated management and orchestration of the Docker environment
- Trusted Registry (DTR) for Docker image management, security, and collaboration
- Commercially supported Docker Engine for a robust container runtime
As an engineer on the team, you will be working on features provide end-to-end workflows and visibility for installation, configuration, multi-datacenter deployments and monitoring of clusters and applications. Solving challenging engineering problems will include features around cross-datacenter replication, applications as a first class citizen on the Docker stack, image security (scanning, signing), visibility to containers and Docker hosts, ops troubleshooting, automation for running applications at scale, integrating the full suite of Docker products etc. You will also actively contribute to open source Docker projects such as Swarm, Registry, Engine, Compose, etc.
- Contribute to “The Docker Project,” which means contributing patches, and reviewing/merging pull requests from the open source community
- Interact with Product and Customers; Lead a small group of engineers through feature design and implementation while getting your hands dirty
- Participate in product discussions, influence the roadmap and take ownership and responsibility for new projects to make them happen
- Work on Docker’s server-side applications
- Be an ambassador for the Docker brand
- Fluent in either Go or Python (Java/Scala/C polyglots also welcome)
- Can re-articulate past real world experiences developing scalable and complex distributed systems, and search systems
- Solid API design skills (straightforward, unsurprising, defensible)
- Familiar with network protocols; the lower layers like IP, TCP, and UDP; and the higher layers like HTTP
- Familiar with test-driven development (TDD), & service oriented architecture (SOA)
- Start-up experience preferred
- Computer Science degree preferred
Docker, Inc. is the company behind the Docker open source platform and is the chief sponsor of the Docker ecosystem. Docker is an open platform for developers and system administrators to build, ship and run distributed applications. With Docker, IT organizations shrink application delivery from months to minutes, frictionlessly move workloads between data centers and the cloud and can achieve up to 20X greater efficiency in their use of computing resources. Inspired by an active community and by transparent, open source innovation, Docker containers have been downloaded more than 6 billion times and Docker is used by millions of developers across thousands of the world’s most innovative organizations, including ADP, GE, the BBC, Goldman Sachs, Groupon, ING, Yelp, and Spotify. Docker’s rapid adoption has catalyzed an active ecosystem, resulting in hundreds of thousands of “Dockerized” applications, hundreds of Docker-related startups and integration partnerships with AWS, Alibaba, Canonical, Google, IBM, Microsoft, and VMware.