The Docker product documentation is the foundation of a comprehensive training and enablement experience for our enterprise customers. As a Senior Technical Writer at Docker you’ll play a core role in enabling our “Global 10,000” enterprise customers in modernizing their application environments at scale.
You’ll be responsible for creating comprehensive product documentation that’s accurate and effective. You’ll gain a deep understanding the Docker Enterprise Edition (EE) product inside and out, work closely with the team who creates it, and develop a deep understanding of our enterprise customers, their workloads, and their use cases. You’ll also be working closely with the technical support team that writes knowledge base articles, solution architects who create reference architectures, and curriculum developers that create our official training courses, to ensure the product documentation fits into a multifaceted but unified enablement journey for our customers.
Key Outcomes for this Role:
- A deep understanding of our enterprise customers, their business goals, technical environments, workloads, and use cases
- Industry leading product documentation content for Docker EE customers that is part of a single multifaceted enablement journey
- Continually and proactively gather information from software developers, designers, and product managers about new features and upcoming product changes
- Write helpful, accurate, well-organized, consistent, and highly effective content from scratch
- Actively participate in agile development team meetings and represent the interests of the product documentation team and Docker customers
- Use the product, test each procedure and workflow, become an expert user, and provide feedback to product development teams
- Collaborate cross-functionally to align product documentation with other forms of customer enablement content
- 7+ years of technical writing experience
- Previous technical writing experience for IT operations, DevOps, and developer audiences at Global 10,000 companies
- Excellent content planning and organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills
- The ability to fulfill the information design, writing, and editing components of the role
- The ability to quickly learn complex concepts and technologies and clearly explain them to others within the target audience’s context
- Proficiency on Linux operating systems using the command-line
- A good understanding of programming concepts, preferably with Go and/or Python
- Experience with creating documentation in an Agile development environment
- Experience with source control systems, preferably git
- Knowledge or experience with bug tracking systems
- Preferably technical writing or other experience at an enterprise IT vendor
Docker, Inc. is the company behind the Docker open source platform and is the chief sponsor of the Docker ecosystem. Docker is an open platform for developers and system administrators to build, ship and run distributed applications. With Docker, IT organizations shrink application delivery from months to minutes, frictionlessly move workloads between data centers and the cloud and can achieve up to 20X greater efficiency in their use of computing resources. Inspired by an active community and by transparent, open source innovation, Docker containers have been downloaded more than 6 billion times and Docker is used by millions of developers across thousands of the world’s most innovative organizations, including ADP, GE, the BBC, Goldman Sachs, Groupon, ING, Yelp, and Spotify. Docker’s rapid adoption has catalyzed an active ecosystem, resulting in hundreds of thousands of “Dockerized” applications, hundreds of Docker-related startups and integration partnerships with AWS, Alibaba, Canonical, Google, IBM, Microsoft, and VMware.