Customer Content Services is a broad and comprehensive function within the Docker Customer Success department. As the Senior Manager, Technical Documentation you’ll lead the people and programs that produce our product documentation, reference architectures, and knowledge base assets to serve our rapidly growing customer base.
We’re looking for a customer-focused leader with historical experience in technical writing and knowledge-centered support, as well as a strategic understanding of the programs and processes needed to produce effective customer enablement assets. You’ll be building, managing, and continuously improving the full content lifecycle from creation to curation to customer consumption. At the same time you’ll be managing a team of direct reports as well as a large extended team of engineering and technical SME resources to create a highly collaborative customer-centric culture that produces accurate content that effectively enables customers at scale.
As the product owner of docs.docker.com and key stakeholder in success.docker.com, you’ll also be responsible for how the content the team produces is serving the millions of active users for those web properties. You’ll need to understand the target audiences of individual developers for docs.docker.com and enterprise customers for success.docker.com and ensure the content experience is meeting these needs and expectations.
If you’re interested in leading a comprehensive and vital customer success function that goes well beyond the typical “docs manager” role with a scope of ownership spanning from content creation to end-user consumption across multiple content types, apply today!
Key Outcomes for this Role:
- Customers are enabled at scale with accurate, effective, and findable content.
- High quality product documentation is released on-time, leading to customers installing, upgrading, and operating our products effectively.
- Reference architectures are continuously updated and published, providing expanded coverage of current Docker best practices.
- The Docker knowledge base is constantly maintained with the latest content leading to increased customer self-service and reduced technical support load.
- The CCS team is highly collaborative and seen as essential to creating the Docker customer experience.
- Maintain a deep understanding of our enterprise customers, their business goals, technical environments, workloads, and use cases
- Coach and mentor technical writers and help them develop and maintain the skills needed to produce high-quality content
- Take initiative to find and propose changes to improve processes
- Ensure the team is constantly aware of upcoming content needs by continually and proactively gather information from marketing, product managers, developers, designers about new features and upcoming product changes
- Actively participate in agile development team meetings and represent the interests of the product documentation team and Docker customers
- Ensure the team is producing accurate and high quality content by using the product, testing procedures and workflows, becoming expert users, and providing feedback to product development teams
- Collaborate cross-functionally to align CCS content with other forms of customer enablement content
- 7+ years of technical writing experience
- 2+ years of management experience
- Previous technical writing experience for IT operations, DevOps, and developer audiences for Global 10,000 companies
- Excellent content planning and organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills
- Experience with agile development methods, especially for content creation
- Experience successfully designing and implementing information architectures to serve customers at scale
- The ability to quickly learn complex concepts and technologies and clearly explain them to others within the target audience’s context
- A good understanding of programming concepts, preferably with Go and/or Python
- Experience with source control systems, preferably git
- Knowledge or experience with bug tracking systems
- Preferably technical writing or other experience at an enterprise IT vendor
Docker is the leader in the containerization market, combining an enterprise-grade container platform with world-class services to give developers and IT alike the freedom to build, manage and secure applications without the fear of technology or infrastructure lock-in. Today’s organizations are under pressure to digitally transform their business but are constrained by a diverse portfolio of applications, clouds and premises-based infrastructures. Docker unlocks the potential of every organization with a container platform that brings traditional applications and microservices built on Window, Linux and mainframe into an automated and secure supply chain, advancing dev to ops collaboration. As a result, organizations report a 300 percent improvement in time to market, while reducing operational costs by 50 percent. Inspired by open source innovation and a rich ecosystem of technology and go-to-market partners, Docker’s container platform and services are used by millions of developers and more than 550 Global 10K commercial customers including ADP, GE, MetLife, PayPal and Societe Generale.