The Docker product documentation is the foundation of a comprehensive training and enablement experience for our enterprise customers. As a Senior Technical Writer at Docker you’ll play a core role in enabling our “Global 10,000” enterprise customers in modernizing their application environments at scale.
You’ll be responsible for creating comprehensive product documentation that’s accurate and effective. You’ll gain a deep understanding the Docker Enterprise Edition (EE) product inside and out, work closely with the team who creates it, and develop a deep understanding of our enterprise customers, their workloads, and their use cases. You’ll also be working closely with the technical support team that writes knowledge base articles, solution architects who create reference architectures, and curriculum developers that create our official training courses, to ensure the product documentation fits into a multifaceted but unified enablement journey for our customers.
Key Outcomes for this Role:
- A deep understanding of our enterprise customers, their business goals, technical environments, workloads, and use cases
- Industry leading product documentation content for Docker EE customers that is part of a single multifaceted enablement journey
- Continually and proactively gather information from software developers, designers, and product managers about new features and upcoming product changes
- Write helpful, accurate, well-organized, consistent, and highly effective content from scratch
- Actively participate in agile development team meetings and represent the interests of the product documentation team and Docker customers
- Use the product, test each procedure and workflow, become an expert user, and provide feedback to product development teams
- Collaborate cross-functionally to align product documentation with other forms of customer enablement content
- 7+ years of technical writing experience
- Previous technical writing experience for IT operations, DevOps, and developer audiences at Global 10,000 companies
- Excellent content planning and organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills
- The ability to fulfill the information design, writing, and editing components of the role
- The ability to quickly learn complex concepts and technologies and clearly explain them to others within the target audience’s context
- Proficiency on Linux operating systems using the command-line
- A good understanding of programming concepts, preferably with Go and/or Python
- Experience with creating documentation in an Agile development environment
- Experience with source control systems, preferably git
- Knowledge or experience with bug tracking systems
- Preferably technical writing or other experience at an enterprise IT vendor
Docker is the leader in the containerization market, combining an enterprise-grade container platform with world-class services to give developers and IT alike the freedom to build, manage and secure applications without the fear of technology or infrastructure lock-in. Today’s organizations are under pressure to digitally transform their business but are constrained by a diverse portfolio of applications, clouds and premises-based infrastructures. Docker unlocks the potential of every organization with a container platform that brings traditional applications and microservices built on Window, Linux and mainframe into an automated and secure supply chain, advancing dev to ops collaboration. As a result, organizations report a 300 percent improvement in time to market, while reducing operational costs by 50 percent. Inspired by open source innovation and a rich ecosystem of technology and go-to-market partners, Docker’s container platform and services are used by millions of developers and more than 550 Global 10K commercial customers including ADP, GE, MetLife, PayPal and Societe Generale.